Friday, May 27, 2005

Tired. Grumpy. I wanna go home.

Not much to say today.

Working far too much to spend enough time playing.

I picked up Harrington on Hold Em this morning, on the jumbled rush in to work. Its already got Lasagne sauce on it. Or the burned, incinerated remains of "what our work kitchen diabolically refer to as Lasagne" sauce stains on it.

An infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of spatulas could all put in a solid weeks work trying to perfect this from of culinary warfare, and not even one of them could manage to accidentally aspire to these depths.

Down 7 dollars on my short table time last night, and busted out of a 200 seater tournament in the bottom quarter.

I should've learned by now not to play when I'm so tired. It was interesting, however to watch on the occasions when I was outplayed - people betting and raising their draws into me on the flop to catch free cards, which I gave them. It was even more interesting to watch when other players tried to copy them, without understanding the basic concept, trying it from early on the flop, or check raising busted draws on the river. I played weak tight, but not that weak tight.

I just learned that pokertracker can mine stats from Pokerrooms site, so as soon as my bank arrangements are sorted out, I'll be moving my play from there. The same reason why I'm going to avoid Party Poker and UltimateBet. When I sit down to play at a table, I like to play against the skills of the players I pit myself against, and not their ability to pay 20 bucks to have a piece iof software do their thinking for them. I don't like it when sites conspire with lazy players to screw me on the deal.

I've got a longer general rant saved as a draught, which it will take me a while to work up the bile and spleen to wrap up righteously, but in a nutshell, thats my problem with pokertracker. Its a fine tool for analysing ones own play, and its a vicious and weak skinned cop out for reading the play of others. And I look forward to the day when all the multitabling, observationally underdeveloped, pokertracker junkies have the crutches kicked out from underneath them, and have to face up to the brutal reality of playing at a table of people who depend on themselves to classify the competition, and have bothered to develop the skills required to do so.

Moneys just a way of keeping score. One should enjoy what one does, and take pride in your ability to do it.

But until that day comes, I refuse to play at any site that supports pokertrackers datamining abilities. Contrary to what the terminally incompetent miner reliant player may think, poker does have ethics. And those ethics don't warp around your desire to make as much money as possible with as little skill as necessary.

No comments: